State Must Do a ‘Rolling’ Release of Clinton E-mails (Updated)
During a campaign event in Iowa this afternoon, Hillary Clinton took a few questions from the media.
On the e-mail issue, Clinton said, according to a rough transcript by ABC News:
…as I have said repeatedly, I want those emails out. Nobody has set a bigger interest in getting them released and I do. I respect the State Department they have their process that they do for everybody not just for me. But anything that they might do to expedite that process I heartily support…You know I want the American people to learn as much as we can about the work that I did with our diplomats and our development experts. Because I think it will show how hard work and what we did for our country during the time that I was secretary of state where. I worked extremely hard on behalf of our values and our interests and our security. And emails are part of that cell (sic)…
Read more here
While on Monday night the State Department proposed a deadline of January 2016 to “complete its review and public release of 55,000 pages of emails former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton exchanged on a private server,” a federal judge this morning “rejected the State Department’s plan to release most of Hillary Clinton’s emails as secretary of state in one large batch, insisting that the agency parcel out releases of the records over time.”
U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras announced Tuesday his plans to order a “rolling production” of the emails just hours after the State Department proposed that it not be required to make the records public until January 2016, a lawyer involved said.
At a brief hearing on a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by Vice News, Contreras did not set a specific date by which State must begin releasing the emails.
The judge did give the State Department one week to provide a schedule for such a “rolling” release of the e-mails.
Contreras also gave State one week to say exactly when it plans to release a portion of the records relating to the deadly attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, as well as other Libya related issues. State officials have previously pledged to release those emails “soon,” but have never offered a specific date.
The Libya-related records were turned over to a House committee in February.
Read more here.
Lead image: www.shutterstock.com