Update 3: 12.25 AM : Qur’an Burning On “Hold”
12.25 AM: “We have now put a temporary hold on our planned event.”
The BBC has a video interview with Terry Jones, who claims that Imam Muhammad Musri “clearly, clearly lied to us.”
Mr Musri, from the Islamic Society of Central Florida, said Mr Jones had “stretched his words”, and that he had only agreed to fly to New York with Mr Jones on Saturday and speak with the leaders of the Islamic centre project.
Mr Musri said he had told the pastor “that I personally believe the mosque should not be there, and I will do everything in my power to make sure it is moved”, but denied ever mentioning any offer to move it.
The U.S. editor for the Daily Telegraph writes (accurately):
We in the media have lapped it all up, catapulting a complete wacko nonentity into international stardom, at least temporarily.
Whether it’s Terry Jones or Osama bin Laden, fundamentalist terrorism requires media complicity. Do nuts deserve headlines?
*** DR. E. here: Sept. 9th, 7:48PM MST ***
It appears that the so-called ‘pastor’ (who has no divinity diploma, and is not certified and did not attend any seminary of any recognized theological school) … of the so-called ‘church’ ( that is not affiliated with nor certified by any known church group) had “cancelled” his Quran-burning, and is now reconsidering UNLESS the Imam of the mosque in New York, agrees to not build. Leads some to quip that the Rev. he puts before his name stands for an un-Christ like revenant, not a reverend.
Please read Kathy Gill’s good article and references below and join in the comments discussion too.
*** Original Post ***
ABC news reports:
Pastor Terry Jones today canceled his plan to burn Korans at his Florida church after claiming he has struck a deal with a New York Muslim cleric to relocate the so-called Ground Zero mosque.
The fiery pastor said that Imam Abdel Rauf, the leader behind the Ground Zero mosque in Manhattan, will meet with him in New York on Saturday.
“He has agreed to move it,” Jones said referring to the Ground Zero Islamic cultural center and mosque. “And we have agreed to cancel our event on Saturday.”
“Americans don’t want the mosque there and of course Muslims don’t want us to burn Korans,” said Jones.
While I applaud the decision not to burn the religious book of another faith — especially on 9-11 — I truly hope that the quid pro quo he describes is not true. If so, it sounds like reward for a blackmailer.
Update: According to NPR, there is no quid pro quo.
Margot Adler reported from New York that sources told her that there was no agreement to move the Islamic center. Margot’s report was echoed by other news reports.
- Burning The Qur’an, Literally and Figuratively, Take Two – 9 September 2010
- Burning The Qur’an, Literally and Figuratively – 14 August 2010
- A Case For Religious History Classes, Take 2: Newt Gingrich On The Mosque – 26 August 2010
- A Case For Religious History Classes – 9 August 2010
- From Polytheism To Monotheism: A Quest For Power – 24 August 2010
- AP Finally Provides Some Facts About The Fabricated Mosque Controversy – 20 August 2010
- A Critical Look At The NYC Mosque Polling Data – 18 August 2010
- NYC Mayor Bloomberg On Mosque Controversy (video) – 18 August 2010
- Rebutting Sarah Palin: Some Facts Around The Trumped Up Mosque Controversy – 17 August 2010
- Politicians Continue To Pander, But Now It’s Democrats – 17 August 2010