Israel’s Gaza Raid Helps Iran and Ensnares Obama: Le Figaro, France
While Israel’s deadly raid on a flotilla of civilian vessels trying to break the blockade of Gaza and deliver emergency aid has been a public relations disaster for the Jewish State, Le Figaro columnist Pierre Rousselin writes that it also presents monumental problems for the Obama Administration – one being, ironically, persuading the U.N. Security Council to approve of sanctions against Iran.
As part of our global coverage of how the Israeli raid impinges on the United States, for Le Figaro, Pierre Rousselin writes in part:
The crisis triggered by Israel’s raid on a humanitarian flotilla off of Gaza comes at a bad time for Barack Obama. It undermines his efforts to launch indirect talks between Israelis and Palestinians and complicates the U.N. debate on sanctions to stop Iran’s nuclear program.
By falling into the trap laid out for it, Israel has complicated efforts to adopt sanctions against Iran. Now that the Council’s attention is diverted, American attempts to win support for measures that should be a priority for the Jewish state have been compromised.
READ ON AT WORLDMEETS.US, your most trusted translator and aggregator of foreign news and views about our nation.
Here is some of the other global reaction posted on Worldmeets.US – first from the Israelis:
– The Jerusalem Post’s sharp-penned Caroline Glick’s defense of Israel in the Jerusalem Post: Our World – Ending Israel’s Losing Streak
– Israel’s espionage chief blames Obama for Israeli missteps: Mossad Chief: Obama’s ‘Perceived Military Softness Weakens Israel’
– Gideon Levy of Haaretz: Propaganda Machine Convinces ‘Only Brainwashed Israelis’
– Today’s editorial from Lebanon’s Daily Star: Israel’s ‘Logic of the Hammer’
– The Independent’s Robert Fisk rips Western leaders: Western Leaders ‘Too Cowardly’ to Help Save Lives
We will continue to cover the story as it unfolds in the coming days, including commentary from the Palestinian press.