Elena Kagan: Five Issues That Could Lift, Become Issues, Become Red Herrings, or Become Boring Ad Nauseum
1. Goldman Sachs; in her wiki bio, it’s reported by USA Today she took a 10k honorarium in 2008. However, she was on an advisory panel which met once a year to discuss public policy issues and was not involved in any investment decisions, according to a DOJ spokesperson.
2. Personal life. As usual, some will look for anomaly a/k/a ‘enough sticky mud’ to outrage one constituency or another into giving money to defeat Kagan and all those perceived as Kagan-like… as a matter of ‘patriotism.’
3. Specifics about which cases she defended at the upscale firm she was with in DC., Williams & Connolly. Count on a phrase similar to ‘wise Latina woman’ being raised as akin to the crime of grand theft larceny.
4. Her time as Associate White House Counsel under President Bill Clinton.
5. That her professorial experience is thick, and her judicial experience appears to be thin, but so was Justice Rehnquist’s when he was affirmed to the Court.