As Afghans boil over with rage after a U.S. soldier reportedly left his base in the middle of the night to murder 16 Afghan civilians in their homes, according to this news account from Pakistan’s Frontier Post, the Taliban are claiming that the operation was the work of a group of soldiers, and that far more people were killed.
Propaganda it may me. But in the fog of war, will the average Afghan be able to tell the difference? The news item from the Frontier Post says in part:
KANDAHAR: Taliban spokesman Qari Muhammad Yousaf Ahmadi has been quoted as saying that 45 Afghan civilians were killed on Sunday by foreign forces in the Panjwai district of Kandahar Province. He said U.S. troops entered the homes of Palambi villagers in Zungabad district and gunned down their slumbering inhabitants.
“One Muhamamd Wazir was among his 11 family members who were killed when foreign forces attacked his home. People were also killed in other homes. So far, 45 dead, including women and children, have been retrieved by area residents,” Ahmadi said.
The Taliban spokesman said there were signs of burn marks on the corpses, suggesting that bullets were used in the raids. Rejecting reports that the civilians were killed by a single soldier, Ahmadi said: “This is not the act of one individual. This was done by several foreign soldiers who entered people’s homes without cause, martyring people in their sleep.”
Calling the deed by foreign forces a violation of all human law, Ahmadi urged people to end their docility and join a national uprising against the foreigners.
READ ON AT WORLDMEETS.US, your most trusted translator and aggregator of foreign news and views about our nation.
Founder and Managing Editor of Worldmeets.US