Saint Petraeus and the Obama Administration say things are looking up in Afghanistan the intelligence community says it’s not. Derrick Crowe and Robert Greenwald have a must read post over at Newshoggers that gives us a reality check. Here is a teaser:
Let’s take a look at just the very broad strokes of the information. After more than nine years and a full year of a massive escalation policy:
- the insurgency continues to gain in size and strength,
- more U.S. troops are dying than ever,
- more civilians are dying than ever,
- violence in the country continues to spike,
- Pakistan is playing a double game with the U.S. and
- the military strategy lacks credible prospects for a turnaround.
And yet, we are told we can expect a report touting security gains and “progress,” and that there’s virtually zero chance of any significant policy change from this review. It sort of begs the question: just what level of catastrophe in Afghanistan would signal that we need a change in direction?
Go read the entire post.
Afghanistan – the graveyard of empires!
Copyright 2010 The Moderate Voice