Newsbusters Noel Sheppard upset Jamie Foxx called President Obama as "our lord and savior" during the Soul Train Music Awards, didn't realize he watched BET.

English: Barack Obama delivers a speech at the...

Noel Sheppard Upset Jamie Foxx Calls Obama “Our Lord and Savior” During Soul Train Awards Show (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Noel Sheppard at Newsbusters is going nuts over a comment Jamie Foxx made at the  Soul Train Music Awards which aired on BET and Centric Sunday night — “First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama.” Um, I didn’t realize Noel Sheppard watched BET or Centric.

So, it’s okay to call President Obama a Communist, a terrorist lover, a Muslim, a foreigner and all manner of names, but it’s a problem when he is called a “savior?”I am pretty sure Jamie Foxx could care less what Noel Sheppard and his right wing buddies think, but it points to a deep level of hypocrisy emanating from the right wing.  I don’t care much for labels and name-calling, but it’s disingenuous to go after Jamie Foxx for calling President Obama “lord and savior” while ignoring Ann Coulter calling him a “retard.”

This was cross-posted from The Hinterland Gazette.

JANET SHAN
Leave a replyComments (28)
  1. T-STEEL, Site Administrator November 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

First and foremost, Jamie Foxx is a comedian (which many folks have forgotten). And while calling a POTUS “Lord and Savior” is eye brow raising from a non-comedic sense, I agree with you on the hypocrisy. “Lord and Savior” is small potatoes when it comes to name-calling directed at President Obama.

2. dduck November 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm

If Fox is an atheist like Maher, then I would give him a complete pass on a joke like that. If he believes in (he who’s name we do not speak) then I give him a partial pass.
    Full disclosure, I accused the Dems of thinking O walked on water countless times. :-)

3. zephyr November 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It sure is easy to push crazy rightwing buttons. Btw, that whole “walking on water” nonsense is pretty wornout and inaccurate. I know a LOT of dems and most of them view O as lesser of evils (by far) certainly not as any sort of water walker.

4. zusa1 November 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I went to the Newsbusters link above and this is what was written:

“Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx recently called Barack Obama “our lord and savior.”

This occurred at the previously recorded Soul Train Awards broadcast on BET Sunday (video follows with transcript and commentary):

JAMIE FOXX: First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama. Barack Obama.

Please also notice that this clip was used as a promo for the presentation by BET.”

“I guess Obama really IS the messiah.”

I have no idea how anyone could interpret this as being “upset” or “going nuts”.
    He obviously was just poking fun at the left.

5. T-STEEL, Site Administrator November 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I agree zusai. I don’t think there’s freaking out in that article. Now I’ve sen some freaking out comments but whatever. No biggie. :)

6. ShannonLeee November 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

who is Noel Sheppard and why do i care?

7. ordinarysparrow November 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

They totally do not get the jest of this… not surprised…The Right is noted for being very literal…

Also want to share this link… the best interview by Fox news that has occurred this year…what will they say about Thomas Ricks…this one will make you laugh…

Thomas Ricks Accuses Fox News Of ‘Operating As A Wing Of The Republican Party’ (VIDEO)

8. zusa1 November 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

ordinarysparrow, I think you missed the jest the conservative was making towards the left. Maybe the left is to quick to stereotype the right?

9. ordinarysparrow November 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

actually zusai was directing the comment towards Newbusters…perhaps you are reading my comment through your unique lens…

10. roro80 November 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I don’t get it. What is Newsbusters criticizing the statement for? Does he think that Jamie Foxx literally believes BO is “lord and savior” and is therefore concerned that the talk of BO as the messiah (ahem, dduck) is actually what black people think? Or is he concerned that Jesus is being used in a joke and therefore trivialized?

While the tone of the article/clip itself is playful (and not, to zusai’s point, a “freak out”), the comments on the thread certainly are not, and could easily be considered as such.

11. zusa1 November 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm

ordinarysparrow, Maybe so, but I’ll try one more time to get on the same page and then let it lie. It seems clear Noel Sheppard at Newsbusters did not take Jamie Fox’s comment of “First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama” literally because his reaction was to turn it around and poke fun himself with:

“I guess Obama really IS the messiah.”

12. ordinarysparrow November 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Perhaps it would be best to stop trying Zusai… as stated above the comments were directed towards Newbusters which include the comments…guess it would be more ‘concrete’ for you if i would of spelled out that Newsbuster was in reference to post and comments…

13. zusa1 November 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Ordinarysparrow, I read your comment again, and now I think maybe I understand who the “they” and “this” were you were referring to…my lens must be thick today…

14. mishboots November 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm

It is one thing to call someone a criminal more specifically a terrorist, but to equate someone to God is beyond offensive. For Christians Jesus is their Lord and Savior. Just like the Muslims get upset and violent when people mock Allah, why can’t Christians and other conservatives take offense to this blasphemous comment made by an ignorant celebrity

15. Barky November 27, 2012 at 2:21 am

“Blasphemy” is the most ridiculous charge in the world. It speaks to the insecurity, inmmaturity, and lack of character of the accuser far more than it speaks anything about the accused.

It is a relic of the Dark Ages and needs tostay there.

16. dduck November 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

I agree with you Mish.

17. roro80 November 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

but to equate someone to God is beyond offensive

So you think Foxx literally believes that Obama is lord and savior? Really? Because he doesn’t. It was a joke.

Which is, in fact, the big false equivalency here. It’s so much more offensive to call Obama a terrorist *and mean it* than to flippantly joke about him being Jesus. Nobody thinks he’s Jesus, just in case anyone on the board is having a hard time with that. Nobody ever thought he was Jesus.

And dduck, et tu? Really? Offended by blasphemy?

18. ordinarysparrow November 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Wow…. Blasphemy…That is the Big One…the “Go Directly to Jail: Do not Pass Go; Do Not Collect $200 Dollars Unforgivable Sin.”……Comedians really do take big risk stepping out to thin air each night….

19. dduck November 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

roro, see my earlier comment.
    BTW: I am an atheist.

20. roro80 November 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yeah, I saw it. And I know you’re an atheist. Of course, one doesn’t need to be one to see that Jamie Foxx is not, in fact, equating Obama with God. (Some Christians also have a sense of humor…) Mish is saying that he is, and you’re agreeing with Mish. So I don’t get your position.

21. dduck November 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I don’t have a position, I just agree with both of the viewpoints.

22. zephyr November 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

why can’t Christians and other conservatives take offense to this blasphemous comment made by an ignorant celebrity – mish

Some us of think the true “blasphemy” is when people get seriously bent out of shape when they sense their fairytale of choice has been dissed. This sentiment is more appreciated in Europe, I hope it will be an import here soon.

23. Barky November 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Wow, even I didn’t go with “fairy tale of choice.” Well trumped, Zephyr. 😀

24. EEllis November 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I find it hilarious that people are bashing a whole political party for not getting a joke and having no sense of humor for someone on the right making a joke! It’s a pretty basic joke that anyone of any political party could make and the majority of people would get it but here……..come on people.

25. zephyr November 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Well Barky, I guess when it comes to religion one persons pragmatic and calm approach can be anothers cause for a hissy fit. Seems to me that any religion whose converts think it should be too sacred to scrutinize is a tad rickety.

26. zusa1 November 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

You guys have some twisted logic. Somebody says something that is intended to be provocative, and then you criticize the fact that people reacted?

27. dduck November 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm

HE, who may think he is a god, still walks on water, except now he knows where the rocks are. :_)