March Madness Wrap Up, Day 2
Isn’t today kind of what March Madness is all about? Drama and big upsets galore. I’ll admit that I have a pre-existing bias towards the early rounds. Three games on at all times, folks you’ve never heard of stepping up huge, and teams like Siena are still in it. But today was really a great day for basketball.
– Even with all the drama and upsets, the moment that made me happiest came during the UMBC – Georgetown match-up. UMBC has a 5’8″ guard, Jay Greene who was posted up against Georgetown’s 7’2″ center Roy Hibbert while a UMBC player was shooting free throws. Shot goes up, Greene takes a step back, runs behind Hibbert then just ducks under him to snatch the rebound. I honestly don’t think Hibbert ever saw him way down there.
– Tampa, Tampa, Tampa! All four games are upsets, including Western Kentucky’s buzzer-beater fade-away OT three. Love it.
– Unfortunately, my Midwest bracket is utterly wrecked. Don’t love it.
– Also, Tampa means we could still see a San Diego/Siena match-up in the final round. Who’s got odds?
– Was I the only one who thought Georgetown looked a bit raggedy against UMBC? Fortunately, the Retrievers can’t shoot — but the Hoyas won’t have such luck against Davidson.
– Clemson’s woes at the free throw line do not bode well for the Memphis Tigers, who are even worse from the line (but had the good fortune to play UT-Arlington in the first round — and also, to not play in Tampa).