97ffc_wholefoods.jpg

EDITOR’S NOTE:
In the past we ran a line about Guest Voice posts not necessarily representing the opinion of TMV or its writers. But after we ran many Guest Voice columns by conservative talk show host Michael Reagan (whose posts we run usually once a week from Cagle Cartoons), liberals, moderates etc. we felt it wasn’t necessary to run that line at the top anymore. However, a reader now says this is post is being described as TMV’s endorsing the boycott. WRONG. It is a G-u-e-s-t V-o-i-c-e post from another writer by from another blog. We thought that was self evident but to new readers: Guest Voice posts are just that. This does not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of TMV’s many writers or the site itself just as Michael Reagon’s posts do not necessarily represent the site. And with our variety of writers, no one take on an event done by a TMV writer represents the site’s “position.” To those still confused, kindly read the description of this site above. Also see my own comment below since that is also being mis-stated.

Whole Foods Boycott Picks Up Steam

by Richard Blair

Whole Foods CEO John Mackey shot his company in the face the other day with an anti-health care op-ed screed in the Wall Street Journal. He’s managed to piss off his company’s core demographic: liberals and progressives, and in the process, enabled a boycott that could actually work.

There is no doubt that boycotting Whole Foods would be a difficult proposition for many latte-sipping, Volvo-driving libruls. After all, where else are we going to spend hard earned grocery money for a $25 steak or a $10 pound of fair trade coffee?

The thing is, when Rupuert Murdoch published an anti-health care security op-ed from Whole Foods CEO John Mackey in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal, a few progressive latte drinkers decided they didn’t need to buy their arugula at Whole Foods anymore, and called for a boycott. After all, the big marketing gimmick for Whole Foods is that they’re a socially responsible company which sells food that is actually good for you (even if the products are very over priced).

As of today, the boycott is really picking up some steam.

(UPDATE: Whole Foods is now reportedly sending an email apology to customers who contact them, arguing the op-ed piece was not anti healtcare reform.)

While I don’t normally support boycotts (for the most part, I don’t think they’re terribly well organized or impactful), this one is different, and I do believe it can be very effective. Here’s why:

Whole Foods has always marketed itself to a fairly educated and financially secure customer base. This is why they can successfully sell healthy (and primarily organic) foods, at a higher cost. The company has also fostered the image that it has an altruistic streak in supporting progressive causes.

With a single op-ed in an uber conservative national newspaper, this wholesome image has been blown to bits. In the course of writing 1,165 words, CEO Mackey has caused more potential damage to the Whole Foods corporate image than an e-coli outbreak in the meat room.

In calling for support of the boycott of Whole Foods, I’m making an educated guess that their average customer is very politically progressive in nature. And that is why, if liberals and progressives quit shopping at Whole Foods, the impact would be quickly apparent to the company’s Board of Directors. By quickly, I mean by this coming Monday morning when the weekend receipts are tallied.

I am all for freedom of speech. Mr. Mackey had every right to express his views on health care in the WSJ, even as anathema as those views might be to progressives. Similarly, we progressives have every right to decide whether or not we want to spend our food dollars in a store whose CEO clearly doesn’t support the most important progressive cause of the moment.

So, if you are a Whole Foods shopper, please consider honoring the boycott, at least for a short period of time. The impact will be very evident, and almost immediate.

On a lighter note, take a few minutes and read the Whole Foods website forums on this topic. The forums have been invaded by freepers and redstaters, with predictably resultant hilarity. If one was to believe the freepers, Whole Foods is going to have an entirely new demographic shopping in their stores. The only problem is: last I checked, Whole Foods doesn’t stock Coke, Cheetos, Armor hotdogs, or 365-brand Instant Grits.

Some links:

Join the Whole Foods boycott on Facebook
LA Times: Whole Foods is in a whole lot of trouble
Whole Foods boycott on Twitter

Richard Blair is an old school political activist and publisher of “All Spin Zone” (allspinzone.com). He is a frequent contributor to AlterNet and many other online forums. His altercation with Nancy Grace in 2005 spurred the national media to get involved with the investigation of LaToyia Figueroa’s murder in Philadelphia. This is cross-posted from his blog.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This will be a setback for Whole Foods, particularly in California. Several years ago there was a major grocery store strike and worker/management feelings were bitter and there was picketing. Many customers who didn’t want to cross a picket line, didn’t like the situation or felt “their’ store were not stocked sufficiently “discovered” Whole Foods, Henry’s (a highly popular small competitor owned by Wild Oats, which Whole Foods bought but it quickly sold off Henry’s to the company that owns Smart and Final), and Trader Joe’s. These chains picked up LOTS of loyal customers — and many stayed with them. California supermarkets have been cutting prices, offering specials and doing all kinds of things to regain those shoppers ever since. Some did come back but others continued to put a lot of their food shopping dollars into….stores such as Whole Foods.

You can’t say that ALL of the store’s customers were Democrats, liberals, etc. But conservatives had mocked Barack Obama for of all things eating arugula — and Whole Foods typifies the mind-set of those who eat arugula and those who ask for arugula.

If you’ve never been there, Whole Foods is a wonderful health food, organic and gourmet store — huge and breathtaking in its choices, including freshly made deli items, baked goods and hot, delicious, just-prepared side dishes and entrees. It has a world-class vitamin section with staffers who are highly knowledgeable. Some stores have someone one offering massages. Their stores always have a friendly staff. They offer seminars on “wellness,” healthy cooking etc. A customer bulletin board shows business cards reflecting a customer mix with lots of “new age” people. Some call it “Whole Paycheck” because of its high prices.

But if a boycott has any impact, and if what the political class and internet readers and writers has filtered down to the average citizen, at least, Whole Foods could, as Richard Blair notes, have a problem. Online stories and blog posts generally note that Mackey made a huge business mistake or a political one. And it is hard to see those who mocked Obama for eating arugula stocking up in an organic foods, gourmet, store. Even with the company’s new disclaimer, it’s image will never be the same among at least some of its customers and soon-to-be former customers. And there is this: in the big California cities Whole Foods may be biggest game in town but not the only game.

FOOTNOTE: I love Whole Foods, but Henry’s is within walking distance of my condo, which is why I almost always go there. I originally went to the store in the late 90s, when I was doing a lots of fairs in Texas. I visited the Houston store so often during a one-month stay that friends joked that when I left Whole Foods had to lay off people.
–Joe Gandelman

UPDATE: See my note below. This clearly does not saying I am participating in the boycott. I don’t do boycotts. I can walk to Henry’s so I seldom go to Whole Foods anymore.

(CORRECTION: This mistakenly first went up under a Cagle Cartoons byline. This is a Guest Voice post, not Cagle Cartoons material)

Guest Voice posts do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of TMV or its writers.

UPDATE II: Be sure to read a new post on this controversy:What John Mackey of Whole Foods Actually Wrote vs What the WSJ Ran: See For Yourself, by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

Guest Voice
Ron Beasley
7 years 1 month ago

I never liked Whole Foods anyway. They are like Walmart without the cheap prices. They moved into the Portland area and drove all the regional stores out of business and then bought out the remaining competition, Wild Oats.

mainstreethealth
mainstreethealth
7 years 1 month ago

I think the ‘outraged’ who think that boycotting Whole Foods is a solution should also get Obama to open an alternative store for them that offers the same kind of service. Of course it couldn’t survive without massive tax subsidies, and it would run about half as well as the post office.

People are insane if they think that boycotting WF is going to impact Mackey. More importantly, it’s going to affect hundreds of employees…most of whom are minorities in the WF stores in our area…employees that all have better benefits than I do with 100% coverage, employer subsidized HSA’s…and I work in a hospital! Way to go…looks like you really thought that one through.

bhf2
bhf2
7 years 1 month ago

Just want you to know I didn’t USED TO shop at Whole Foods – BUT I’M GOING TO START TODAY!!! YEAH. How come dissent was good under Bush, but discouraged if not prohibited by the left under Obama?

StockBoySF
StockBoySF
7 years 1 month ago

bhf2, “How come dissent was good under Bush, but discouraged if not prohibited by the left under Obama?”

I don’t understand…. Under Bush the conservatives went along with everything he said. Bush even marginalized anyone who disagreed with him and the conservatives were fine. Especially on the run up to the Iraq war. In case you’ve forgotten tens of millions of people all over the world protested what everyone viewed as Bush’s inevitable invasion of Iraq, which was a war based on lies and choice. However the conservatives led by Bush essentially said, “You’re either with us or against us.”

So today… aren’t those people who are boycotting WFM protesting (dissenting)? I don’t see Obama either supporting or opposing the right of individuals to take their business elsewhere if they don’t like something.

So…. how is Obama discouraging dissent? More importantly, why did Bush not listen to the American people? Our country is worse off after eight years of Bush…. Are you calling for his return or a continuation of his ruinous policies?

Just to be clear… lots of comments on here…. I don’t shop at WFM and if I did I wouldn’t stop because of this. I think the boycott is silly, but I understand why some people are upset and they are right (for their reasons- but what motivates them is different than what motivates me… and I’m sure what motivates you is an equally right third view).

$199537
$199537
7 years 1 month ago

I thought Mackey’s editorial was pretty good. Which of his suggestions are progressives upset about?

Silhouette
Silhouette
7 years 1 month ago

If I even smell a hint that any business is supportive of the anti-public option arm of MedMob’s propaganda machine, it’s not getting another dime of my money.

*scratches Whole Foods off list of things to do*

TheMagicalSkyFather
TheMagicalSkyFather
7 years 1 month ago

I will never again spend a dime at WholePaycheck. I will allow the frepers to now spend twice as much on groceries as me while I shop at a local COOP more in line with my personal philosophy. To be honest though I am not sure if I am joining the boycott due to annoyance with the OPed or the idiocy of HIM writing an OPed that would insight his customer base which happen to be largely activist. To me this is equivalent to WalMart coming out in favor of abortion and gay marriage, a very unwise business decision.

racetoinfinity
racetoinfinity
7 years 1 month ago

“insight” is right – now we know what a “free market” b.s. corporatist Mackey is.

tktcali
tktcali
7 years 1 month ago

It’s amazing how much a person can spend in Whole Foods in a single visit. I am more than willing to donate what I save to health care reform.

AustinRoth
AustinRoth
7 years 1 month ago

No wonder the American people have already realized what a mistake it was handing the keys to government to such lunatics.

StockBoySF
StockBoySF
7 years 1 month ago

AR, “Whole Foods must be punished for daring to have a CEO with a thought critical of the Chosen One, it seems.”

Many people are willing to pay high prices for the types of foods Whole Foods offer. Many people justify these high costs because they are supporting a company with values they have. At least until now. Now many of these people just feel like suckers.

So…. Are you saying that people must shop at a particular store and pay high prices when they would rather shop elsewhere and support a store more in line with their values?

The free market that Mackey so loves and supports may have helped him over the years, but it can also bite him in the ass if he makes a mistake. The biggest mistake a company can make is to piss off its core customer base.

If Mackey wants to market to the crowd of people who “cling to their guns and religion”, then let him! It’s a free market.

AustinRoth
AustinRoth
7 years 1 month ago

Gee SB, I thought they shopped there for the reason I do – better quality and variety of food. I didn’t realize it was a political decision.

StockBoySF
StockBoySF
7 years 1 month ago

AR, perfect reply! :) I wanted a reason to do a long comment on shopping choices and you fell for my trap. 😉

Well, yes- quality and variety. I think that’s why most people who shop at Whole Foods are looking for. But Whole Foods markets to those who want to “shop with a conscience”, which is another way to justify their high prices and make many people actually feel good about parting with their money.

There are many areas where Whole Foods is the only game in town and I suspect that anyone who chooses to “boycott” the stores in these areas will eventually (within a couple weeks) return for the quality and variety. These are the reasons my mom shops at Whole Foods and I don’t think she gives a whit about their political/social philosophy. And she won’t boycott them.

I won’t boycott them either since I shop at other places just as expensive here in San Francisco…. :) I shop at other places solely for their convenience.

If I did shop at WFMI I probably would not boycott them.

At least I do have a choice in SF to shop elsewhere if it actually was an issue for me.

After reading Mackey’s piece I was actually more shocked at his employees’ health insurance plan and the $2,500 deductible. I can’t be entirely sure but I think it’s a “doughnut hole”…. with the first $1,800 in expenses being covered through the company’s contributions, then the next $2,500 shelled out by the employee, then coverage (whatever that includes) after that. Unless those cashiers and baggers are earning a really good salary, that $2,500 would be hard for many young people to come up with if needed all at once. And these are hourly employees so if they’re in an accident and away from work then they would not actually be earning money to help cover the $2,500. No wonder WFMI pays for 100% of the premiums…. that plan is cheap enough for the company to be able to afford them.

I shouldn’t knock it too much…. If you only go to the doctor a couple times a year and have a few medications to take (which are probably fully covered up to $1,800/yr) it’s excellent.

Polimom
7 years 1 month ago

“Unless those cashiers and baggers are earning a really good salary, that $2,500 would be hard for many young people to come up with if needed all at once. And these are hourly employees so if they’re in an accident and away from work then they would not actually be earning money to help cover the $2,500. No wonder WFMI pays for 100% of the premiums…. that plan is cheap enough for the company to be able to afford them.”

Funny how differently we see that policy, StockBoy. When I read it I thought — what an excellent plan, all the way around. The employees are paying $0 premiums, so they can save what would otherwise be spent on monthly premiums, and use it on doctor’s visits or whatever (at negotiated insurance rates). If they have no major catastrophes, they’ve not had to pay the premiums still, and come out way ahead. If they do have a major catastrophe, their out of pocket is off-set by the $ they’ve not had to spend (again) on premiums.

frabert
frabert
7 years 1 month ago

I agree get rid of those just say no Republican kooks lunatics and please lets kill grandma

DennisKnicely
DennisKnicely
7 years 1 month ago

Although the Wall Street Journal article Mackey wrote has disturbed many, there is a lot of truth to his words, very well selected. This article has gotten HUGE publicity. Yes, it might hurt Whole Foods Market in the short run, yet could have favorable results on the long run.

Mackey should be lauded for versing his opinion, all our rights under “Freedom of Speech”. Whether we agree or not, bad press is better than no press. Both Wall Street Journal and Whole Foods have received HUGE hits from this article.

My opinion: The “left leaning” liberals calling for a boycott will come back, when they miss the high quality of the organic produce that is not easy to get otherwise, and Whole Foods will also pick up other clients agreeing with Mackey. http://www.HealingNews.com

StockBoySF
StockBoySF
7 years 1 month ago

DennisKnicely: “….Whole Foods will also pick up other clients agreeing with Mackey.”

Yes, I agree with that. Whole Foods will pick up other customers… until those customers actually step into a Whole Foods store and see the high prices.

drbill15
drbill15
7 years 1 month ago

Take a good look at these town hall mobsters, Mackey better start stocking hot dogs, Kraft Mac & Cheese and Mountain Dew if he expects to pick up this crowd.

aravinda
aravinda
7 years 1 month ago

For every “liberal” customer who boycotts there will be several new conservative hearts won. Organic is not just for progressives anymore. I am sure WF will see their bottom line rise – maybe a change in customer base was just what the store was looking for and has achieved by declaring that in America we not only have no right to health care, but no right to food and shelter either. All are best served by the market. Don’t forget even if WF doesn’t stock “Coke, Cheetos, Armor hotdogs, or 365-brand Instant Grits.” I am sure the food processing industry is coming up with smoothly packaged “natural” alternatives to these, if they are not already there. Whole Foods is FULL of processed foods already.

If this move wakes us up and sends us to co-ops, farmers markets, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and smaller groceries (and our own gardens!) then we have a chance to significantly support these alternatives. This is the holistic path for sustaining our health, our earth, our economy, and society.

debbbb
debbbb
7 years 1 month ago

aravinda, you are so funny!

A two for one swap. Incredible.

Do you shop at WF? A conservative, after their first visit, hill run back to their conventional supermarket. Otherwise they would have been shopping at WF all along. You think they will pay 20%+ to make a point at WF? Doubt it.

FAIL!

AustinRoth
AustinRoth

debbb –

What a condescending load of crap. Do you really believe that only Liberals shop at Whole Foods, due to their natural moral superiority?

It is that exact elitist, non-inclusive, arrogant mindset that is making the “Left-Liberal Revolution” of the 2008 elections fail so utterly in less than a year.

undertoad
undertoad
7 years 1 month ago

Does anyone know if Wegman’s CEO has a position on cap-and-trade?

drbill15
drbill15
7 years 1 month ago

I’ve got a feeling we’re on different sides of this issue but I did get a laugh out of your comment.

margaretwilde
7 years 1 month ago

Too much is expected of prescription drugs and too few people realise how much harm they do by their adverse side-effects. I write as one of the many women greatly harmed by taking prescribed HRT.

Good food/nutrition is a safe and very effective way of improving/maintaining health.

As an example, by cutting down on salt/sodium and salty food and eating more fresh food you will lose excess weight, reduce your risk of most cancers, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, heart attack, vascular dementia, stroke, osteopenia, osteoporosis, hypercholesterolaemia, depression, liver damage and kidney problems, and improve your health in many other ways without drugs. This can also reduce many kinds of chronic pain.

seattlelefty
seattlelefty
7 years 1 month ago

I live in Seattle, and Whole Foods is opening a store about a a mile and a half from my house. Good luck getting me in the place! Let me explain in words that a wingnut free marketeer like John Mackey can understand: John, it’s my money. I get to spend it, or not spend it, wherever and however I choose. It is entirely my decision, and you have utterly no say in the matter. I am the (potential) customer. You are here to please me. Period, end of paragraph, end of story.

My decision is this: I will not spend my money to enrich a pack of Republican wingnuts if I have an alternative. And here in Seattle, believe me, there are PLENTY of alternatives. There is my local grocery store, which is expensive but not as expensive as yours, and it carries a big selection of organic stuff. There is Trader Joe’s. There is PCC. There are the weekly farmer’s markets all over Seattle. There are fruit and veggie stands in various areas of town. Whole Foods might be special in the red states, but in my town you’re one of many.

John, I appreciate that op-ed of yours. It was more informative than you realized. It told me what I needed to know about Whole Foods. Free flow of information is critical to the functioning of free markets, including the choice to avoid your wingnut corporation. Good luck finding enough freepers in Seattle to support your new store. This city went 86% for Obama, and the margin was even higher in the area to be served by that doomed new store of yours. Good luck. You’ll need it.

p.s.: To all those who are worried about liberal intolerance for John Mackey’s free speech, worry not. I am in favor of free speech. John performed a service by committing free speech. Oddball thing is, I also have free speech, and more importantly I have a free wallet.

rick jones
rick jones

seattlelefty wrote

“Let me explain in words that a wingnut free marketeer like John Mackey can understand: John, it’s my money. I get to spend it, or not spend it, wherever and however I choose. It is entirely my decision, and you have utterly no say in the matter. I am the (potential) customer. You are here to please me. Period, end of paragraph, end of story.”

Yet this health care reform, the WF CEO’s opposition to which has you in a lather is going to be taking your money and spending it wherever and however the government chooses. Indeed, you are completely at liberty to spend your money wherever and however you choose, even, if you wish, to fund healthcare for someone else. If you choose to not pay your taxes – either because you don’t want the money going down a rathole in Iraq or because you don’t want it funding healthcare for someone who decided to drop-out of high school – you end-up in the super-economy section of Club Fed.

rasqual
7 years 1 month ago

“more importantly I have a free wallet.”

At least until Washington starts running our health care.

wildmonk
wildmonk
7 years 1 month ago

But SeattleLefty – this comment makes it obvious to me that you still have a long way to go to achieve a true progressive consciousness. In many ways, you seem quite backward-thinking to me. Seriously, why are you still thinking in terms of “your” money and spending it the way you see fit? For the good of the collective, you should spend only as the collective dictates. Why have you been indulging in WF foods when you could have spent the 20% premium paid there on feeding those less fortunate than you?

Obviously, your commitment to public financing of medical care is only good “in theory” and plays no real role in raising your consciousness. And what is this piffle about “the free flow of information is critical to the functioning of free markets”?? You MUST avoid such reactionary expressions out of a reasonable caution that you might lead the unwashed to question why Obama must suppress the free flow of information/money in medicine for the good of society.

Polimom
7 years 1 month ago

wildmonk, you seem to be confusing socialism with communism.

m1shu
m1shu
7 years 1 month ago

Are you trying to be ironic on purpose?

DirkL
DirkL
7 years 1 month ago

If you really think free choice is so great, then why do you support a public option that will crowd out individual choice? If the supermarkets were run by the government, you wouldn’t have the choice to boycott like you do Whole Foods.

Silhouette
Silhouette
7 years 1 month ago

How funny…the GOP spin trying to recover the fatal mistake by their buddy WholeFoods..lol.
*****
“. This article has gotten HUGE publicity. Yes, it might hurt Whole Foods Market in the short run, yet could have favorable results on the long run”~ “Dennis”
*****

Oh dear “Dennis” didn’t you know about the study that showed once people stay away from a product or store and then go find a better [in WF’s case: cheaper but still same quality] they tend to never return? We’ll write your quote on Wholefood’s tombstone. I’m sure it will be a source of comfort for them..lol..

[Hint to Wholefoods, fleas jump OFF a dying dog, not onto it.]

jerrybowles
jerrybowles
7 years 1 month ago

Wasn’t Mackey caught using a fake name in investment forums to bad mouth Wild Oats and drive the stock price down before buying them? Should have done a little time for that one.

DdW
DdW
7 years 1 month ago

“Once again, the Left shows THEIR instance on orthodoxy and crushing of dissent or heretical thought.”

Well now, let’s not forget the Right’s Billoreileys who righteously demand boycottts of anyone and anybody with whose dissent and heretical thoughts they diagree with

seattlelefty
seattlelefty
7 years 1 month ago

I’m not “boycotting” anyone. I am spending my money how, when, and where I choose. This is my absolute right. Apparently, the far right wing doesn’t like it when people exercise control over their own money. Imagine that!

sandymchoots
sandymchoots
7 years 1 month ago

Isn’t “spending my money how, when, and where I choose” pretty much Mackey’s position on health care?

kwf
kwf
7 years 1 month ago

Amazing. Suggest you look up the word boycott in the dictionary, clueless one.

Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
7 years 1 month ago

A question for liberals, Why the hell should a company CEO’s personal beliefs compel someone to not shop there? If you were willing to pay more money for overpriced food in the first place, (something I never understood seeing as I’ve bought all my food from Wal-Mart and Western Beef when I lived in New York City) how do his personal views affect the quality of the product at all, which is all that matters in a business. If he said something like, “Death to Jews” or something I could understand the anger, but he disagrees with a policy that many other Americans also disagree with, and a boycott just shows and reinforces the theory that liberals are completely intolerant of people who disagree with them.

RanMan2
RanMan2
7 years 1 month ago

Speaking of Intolerance, have you seen the rude behavior at the town meetings lately? I don’t think they are liberals! lolz

Matthew Fladell
7 years 1 month ago

Dear Charlie, Mr. Mackey used the Whole Foods name and his position as CEO to promote his so-called “personal opinions”. While technically they are not the opinions of Whole Foods Markets, Inc., the identification between founder/major shareholder Mackey and WF is too close for comfort. It’s not like he offered personal opinions at a private function which were overheard and published. He sought out a very public, right leaning forum, and savaged President Obama’s health care reform plan in the nicest most high minded possible way of course. Apparently a large portion of the “Wheat Grass Roots” takes exception. After all WE are the customers who made Mackey rich and gave him the platform he used to denigrate a political initiative many of us are passionate about. “Liberals” are not intolerant of different ideas. But we’re not gonna finance the other guy’s campaign. And we’ll do what it takes to turn Whole Foods around so the pro-social holistic community oriented profile it projects on the floor of the stores also is real in the executive suite and the on board of directors. Want Whole Foods to be what you thought is was? BUY STOCK NASDAQ: WFMI Then exercise your rights as an owner.

7 years 1 month ago

Thanks for publicizing this. I didn’t know about it, but now I’ll link your post on my site. Also, for Whole Foods aficianados, most major & mid-sized markets have alternatives to Whole Foods now. I live in Fort Myers, Florida, which is a pretty small metro area — 500K in the county — but there are a number of shopping alternatives here, not the least important of which are the local farmers markets which — generally, but not exclusively — sell homegrown produce.

The Constant Weader at http://www.RealityChex.com

gop08doa
gop08doa
7 years 1 month ago

Charlie you’re being an obtuse pumpkin head. It’s the hypocrisy. It’s what’s decimating the republican party by and large.

Jazz
7 years 1 month ago

Interesting and well written editorial by Mackey. Lot’s there to think about. As to this “boycott” idea, it smells no less when the Left does it than when the Right does. So the CEO wrote one editorial you disagreed with on the pet agenda item of the day. So, hey… here’s an idea! Let’s try to drive them out of business! That way all of the regular people who work there will lose their jobs in an already crippled economy. And people looking for healthier food options (assuming you buy into that) won’t be able to find them or will have to go further to search. And what of Mackey? Well, he’s the CEO. He’ll have a golden parachute and run off laughing his butt off at you all.

Well done!

Kastanj
Kastanj
7 years 1 month ago

“So the CEO wrote one editorial you disagreed with on the pet agenda item of the day. So, hey… here’s an idea! Let’s try to drive them out of business!”

What would you do if a person with some prominence tried to support an outcome you believed would make your country worse? Why not hurt him financially if you can?

Polimom
7 years 1 month ago

“Why not hurt him financially if you can?”

That’d make a lot more sense if Whole Foods didn’t employ 51,100 (according to their site) people.

(edited to add) — and yes, he draws a $1 annual salary. Boycotting his stores doesn’t hurt who you think it does.

rasqual
7 years 1 month ago

“Why not hurt him financially if you can?”

Damage to Whole Foods would hurt many people far lower in the company’s compensation range before it hurt him.

Folks who support Obamacare generally claim to care about people, then they turn around and advocate actions that would damage people — for no better reason that that they hate one person so much they’ll scapegoat a whole company.

It’s pretty pathetic.

Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
7 years 1 month ago

gop08doa, you did not answer my question and your immature name calling contributed absolutely nothing to the debate and reinforced the theory that liberals are completely intolerant. And how is Mackey being a hypocrite when he clearly stated that he was a libertarian long before his op-ed.

sandymchoots
sandymchoots
7 years 1 month ago

Boycotting Whole Foods isn’t going to cost John Mackey very much money. From a 2007 press release:

“Additionally, the Company announced that John Mackey will reduce his salary to $1 beginning January 1, 2007 and forgo any future stock option awards. Mr. Mackey will continue to receive the same benefits that all team members receive, including the food discount card and health insurance.”

This guy actually seems to have coherent, independent, beliefs that he acts upon in his personal life. Why does that spawn such horror and revulsion on the left?

davend
davend
7 years 1 month ago

He still has outstanding stock options that have already been granted to him–even if he’s not taking new ones. If WF’s stock price drops as a result of this, it will cost Mackey a lot, actually. His salary (which was was previously capped by company policy anyway) has always been paltry compared to his options.

pacowov
pacowov
7 years 1 month ago

So much for that whole “Moderate Voice” thing, eh?

7 years 1 month ago

I would like to point out to all the tut-tuters on the Right that you are just as much defending YOUR orthodoxy by immediately rushing to the defense of a CEO you knew naught the existence of before this controversy. So therefore, if liberals hate it, it therefore must be good, logic any 3 year old can agree with.

Also, thank you Jazz for revealing the conservative mindset that healhcare reform is merely a “pet agenda item” of evil Dems. But don’t worry Jazz, we know you’re a holy Moderate, because you added one worthless, equivocating sentence in your post! So therefore you can continue with your “Tee hee! I must be a Moderate because the left and right hate me!” act.

Polimom
7 years 1 month ago

By the way — I find it interesting that this post is tagged with (among other things), “war”.

Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
7 years 1 month ago

I wasn’t surprised, it is obvious that this is a war between Freedom of Speech and The Liberal attempt to shut down any one who does not agree with them

TheMagicalSkyFather
TheMagicalSkyFather
7 years 1 month ago

What I find most funny is that boycotts since the 1980’s have largely been the province of the right and to be more specific the religious right. Over the last few years as the left has been joining in and finding success it is no longer considered “voting with your dollars” even though this was the excuse used for every right wing boycott. Instead we get to hear about how boycotts are actually anti free speech and anti democratic which is pretty amusing coming from the party that commonly called the opposition terrorists or terrorist sympathizers over the last eight years.

As far as people losing jobs, I agree that is the truly sad part about this though it was no less true with other boycotts, this one though actually has an advantage. If enough people actually boycott or just choose to shop elsewhere many of them will shop only for organic at major stores swelling the amount of organics they will carry or they will move to other organic stores and co-ops that will be able to hire more workers. Since grocery shopping is done locally I have real doubts this will cause major job losses as they will most likely be picked up by the business’s that receive the added customers.

I would like to thank my right wing friends for teaching me that if you buy from a company or a CEO with an opposing ideology than you they use part of the money you gave them to fund political parties and positions with which you may disagree. I would prefer if corporations and the CEO’s that run them would just stay out of our politics as they have a giant megaphone at their disposal that others do not(I feel the same way about Hollywood) which takes any concept of equality and makes a mockery of it but if they choose to get involved I choose to make it an economic pain in the ass to do so.

So they are free to speak their minds letting me know who it is counter productive for me to give money to and I chose to actually use that knowledge and act on it instead of just buying what I am sold and not questioning where it came from. I mean its not like I am banning him from playing on any country stations in the country if he chooses to become a musician I will just not buy his album. Now on the other hand if a station gives him his own show and he offends me on that show I have every right to take out that offense on advertisers of his program by withholding my money from them. Looks like we have a nice two way street here to me, with any luck all of these people will eventually learn to shut up if you care more about your finances than your politics.

Polimom
7 years 1 month ago

Magical — you may be right that larger (more mainstream) groceries would potentially pick up the business by starting to stock the products WF carries/d. But the odds are beyond low that those 50,000 + people would all be absorbed — or that those new employers would offer anything like the benefits the WF folks currently have. (link)

As it happens, I agree that one should be able to ‘vote with one’s dollars’. We all do that, I think, to some degree or another, every day. (For instance, I personally tend to drive right past the fruit stand flying the rebel flag, every single time! — and buy from another stand a few miles down the road.) But when your goal is for all of ‘these people’ to (your words) “eventually learn to shut up”…. ummmm…. I kinda hear something problematic there.

SteveMG
SteveMG

Good post, Mr. Blair.

Keith Olbermann couldn’t have said it any better.

daveinboca
daveinboca
7 years 1 month ago

Hilarious! Here in Boca there are as many independents and conservatives as libtards at our Whole Foods, which is the second largest in the country after the Mothership in Austin, TX. I doubt that the centrist liberals in FL will listen to raving “:useful idiots” displaying obvious signs of poor nutrition and mental imbalance! Elrod will claim his Boynton Beach relatives will participate, but most of the clientele in Boca come from more affluent communities!!!

William_Teach
7 years 1 month ago

So, let me get this straight: Y’all on the left have been screaming that those who oppose ObamaCare should have alternative. Mackey offers a sensible alternative to what Obama and the Democrats are pushing. Alternatives that many, many, many companies are already putting, or have put, in place, to reduce costs and expand coverage.

So, rather than rebutting his position, and telling us why nationalizing health care is better than Mackey’s ideas, you boycott his stores? So much for the tolerance of the left.

gop08doa
gop08doa
7 years 1 month ago

Didn’t wingers threaten to “boycott” DunkinDonuts because Rachael Ray wore a scarf that reminded them of a burka in some advertising they did a year or two ago? DunkinDonuts bowed to their nutjob demands.

7 years 1 month ago

His “alternatives” are craptastic pipe dreams. Never once does he suggest how we achieve any reform. Then there’s idiocy like this gem:

“Finally, revise tax forms to make it easier for individuals to make a voluntary, tax-deductible donation to help the millions of people who have no insurance and aren’t covered by Medicare, Medicaid or the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.”

To which I say, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Then there’s this:

“A careful reading of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution will not reveal any intrinsic right to health care, food or shelter. That’s because there isn’t any. This “right” has never existed in America.”

To which I say, there’s no “right” for standing armies, no “right” to opportunity, and no “right” to political parties, etc, etc. Also, did I mention food and shelter are infinitely cheaper than healthcare? If it isn’t a “right,” then why are all doctors and ERs required by law to treat people? Why? Why don’t they have the “right” to deny people care? (Yet corporate bureaucrats do!)

Then there’s standard conservative screeds, like:

“Recent scientific and medical evidence shows that a diet consisting of foods that are plant-based, nutrient dense and low-fat will help prevent and often reverse most degenerative diseases that kill us and are expensive to treat. We should be able to live largely disease-free lives until we are well into our 90s and even past 100 years of age.”

So if you get sick, it’s YOUR fault because you had that 3rd helping of ice cream when you were 5 years old, and therefore deserve to die for not taking care of yourself. Therefore, hospitals and insurance companies are free to refuse to treat your “preexisting condition.”

He’s an idiot. We liberals are free to exercise our right to free speech and vote with our wallets. He insulted his own clients, which is an idiotic business move. Idiotic business moves are punished by the “free market.” Conservatives are more than welcome to shop in our place. Knock yourselves out.

rasqual
7 years 1 month ago

“So if you get sick, it’s YOUR fault because you had that 3rd helping of ice cream when you were 5 years old, ”

Actually, no. You’re dramatically understanding the wold howling at America’s health door — insane obesity that’s the consequence of people behaving irresponsibly.

What’s insane is that you’re holding the man in such contempt that you reflexively attack a paragraph that’s utterly uncontroversial and entirely wise. If you had encountered a similar paragraph in an anonymous brochure concerned with health and nutrition, you’d have nodded assent, wondering why the author would take pains to express something that should be obvious to everyone.

Weird.

breadnjam
breadnjam
7 years 1 month ago

Blair lays it out pretty clearly. I’m a long time WFM shopper who spends about $150-$200/week on groceries. I really love this store and I don’t want to boycott them. I don’t like boycotts and, like Blair, don’t find them all that effective, especially if they’re rushed together with no clear goals. Problem is, after reading Mackey’s callous WSJ article, I don’t have the stomach to go back to WFM. I shop with a conscience and I won’t let another dime of my money find it’s way to Mackey’s pockets. I’m not boycotting. I’m just not going to shop at a store that Mackey has any voice in anymore.

sandymchoots
sandymchoots

Lit3Bolt:

There is no meaningful sense in which “food and shelter are infinitely cheaper than healthcare.” Figure out what you will have spent over your lifetime on food and housing, then compare it to what you are likely to spend on healthcare. I think you will find the numbers comparable–certainly not “infinitely” different.

As for the “right” to a standing army, the constitution clearly gives Congress the authority to finance an army and a navy. This is one of the most fundamental roles of government. And the 10th Amendment clearly reserves to the people those rights not explicitly assigned to the national government, so there clearly IS a right to all forms of voluntary peaceful assembly such as political parties. The “right” to healthcare is hopelessly vacuous. What LEVEL of healthcare do I have a right to? From whom do I have a right to demand it? These are the fundamental issues at stake, and they deserve a full and free debate, not censorious ad hominem attacks. There is nothing “liberal” at all about intellectual intolerance.

Weeatourown
Weeatourown
7 years 1 month ago

Hey, hey, hey, dontcha know, only Republicans are allowed to have free speech. When Democrats reply back it’s stifling Republican’s free speech. Therefore Republicans should be allowed to speak whenever, where-ever, and however they want with no consequences ever and Democrats should just shut up lest they hurt real American’s feelings and make them feel unloved.

dude1394
dude1394
7 years 1 month ago

And liberals call conservatives fascists. Bull…

Bilwick
Bilwick
7 years 1 month ago

I’m a libertarian who shops at Whole Foods despite the righteous “liberal” atmosphere of the stores.* I’ve heard that the CEO was a Rand fan and a libertarian, so I’used to be puzzled why the check-out-counter magazine rack always has collectivist rags and no pro-freedom publications. A lone REASON, maybe, amid all the pro-State propaganda. Then I just figured he didn’t want to alienate his clientele. I’ve been wondering when that clientele (even alllowing for its dense, cocoon’ed consciousness, as evinced by its apparent Hive-mind believe that the State is our best pal) would catch on to Mackey. And now it has. Why? Because he dared indicate even a modest lack of confidence in “Il Dufe” and his policy. Horrors!
These are the same people, by the way, who get angry when the State tries to regulate or limit food supplements. You can’t have it both ways, retards.

(*I’m using “liberal” in the modern, bastardized form, meaning “State-shtupper.”

monda
monda
7 years 1 month ago

Think about it who is more concerned about the environment – Republicans? (drill baby drill) or Liberals? Who believes in the green revolution? who believes is fair pay? So yes the CEO did piss on the wallets that keep him in business. Will i go back to whole foods? i don’t think so.

pacowov
pacowov
7 years 1 month ago

“Guest Voice posts are just that. This does not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of TMV’s many writers or the site…”

Ok, I get it now — The Moderate Voice exists to provide a forum for ranting extremists of the left and right. Thanks for clearing that up.

SteveMG
SteveMG
7 years 1 month ago

BTW, SteveMG, Keith Overbite’s ratings have declined more than 20% the last month as this tiresome bore and boor runs out of string on his BOR-bashing silliness. [In the same period, FOXNews has gone up 25%, according to TVNewser.] What about that, freak

Sorry Dave, your sarcasm detector needs a new battery. My comment was entirely tongue-in-cheek.

William_Teach
7 years 1 month ago

gop08doa, Rachael Ray was wearing a scarf representative of the Palestinian Intifada, ie, terrorism. You OK with that? (Personally, I thought the right went overboard on it. I love my DD)

Lit3Bolt, perhaps you might read the Constitution thingy, which does provide the USA to have a standing army. Try reading it for a change.

sandymchoots:

Food and shelter are more accessible than healthcare in this country. You can achieve both by yourself, but it is impossible in the case of healthcare because of barriers to care, some natural, such as doctors, and some arbitrary, such as insurance companies. There is no way for an individual to simply act as a “consumer” when it comes to healthcare, particularly when some people need it more than others, much much more. The “right” to healthcare comes from evolving societal standards which I think should be finally codified in law, not merely left to the vagaries of human charity and decency. My main point is that there are “rights” in the Constitution beyond the ones stated explicitly, because the USA has evolved beyond the Constitution in many many ways, some of which were added in Amendments, some of which were not but have become realities in society regardless (such as the President evolving into a Chosen Tyrant position in the US gov’t).

People have the right to accessible, affordable healthcare, just as they have a right to have an opportunity for work. There should be a minimum that everyone is entitled to, just as we have a minimum wage. Instead, we have a bizzaro system which ties employment to health insurance, which really does not make sense. No one is frozen out of all work because of a preexisting condition (well, unless you commit a felony, but that’s another thread). It promotes “the general welfare” of the people as stated in the Declaration, which is also a “fundamental role of government.” And everyone deserves it, not just the old, the poor, and the disabled, for whom the government already provides healthcare. We already provide healthcare to all of these groups, yet piously declare everyone age 18-65 without insurance should just “eat right and exercise” as if that will prevent any of these people from becoming sick or dying.

As for intellectual intolerance, sometimes a rose is a rose is a rose. If some jerk CEO decides to insult his customer base by writing an unhelpful, patronizing, disingenuous screed in the WSJ, that’s his right to do so, but I still reserve the right to call him an idiot by his words.

William_Teach:

And that Army and Navy shall remain mobilized and in the field for all eternity? Where does it say that? Show me please.

Congress can “raise and support” armies and “provide and maintain” a Navy, but my point is that the original words, regardless of intent, have come to mean something more above and beyond a strict interpretation of the text.

Also, only Congress has power to declare war, yet the President can mobilize wherever he wishes, and if enemy forces just “happen” to be in the way…

TheMagicalSkyFather
TheMagicalSkyFather
7 years 1 month ago

Polimom- Its a choice, they can concentrate on making a profit or concentrate on pushing their political agenda. If they decide to push a political agenda then people will be less likely to give them money if they disagree. If they instead decide to concentrate on profits then no issue exists but once they step into the public forum I have the right to tell them to shut up and sit down just like they have the right to tell me to do the same(note I said you can TELL not make). If I go to work for WF tomorrow and spend all of my free time around the building talking politics that differ from others point of view or offend people I would be fired because it hurts the company and its image. He has decided to use the clout that being the founder of WF’s gave him to fight a position that offends many of his customers, if he were the PR person he would be fired for such a mis-step. Instead he is likely to take the entire chain down with him which is sad but he is personally responsible for the choices he made. I am sorry but I fail to see the problem with this. I have plenty of friends that refuse to watch this or that star and others that refuse to say buy food from McDonalds due to some anti-NRA thing they backed in the 90’s. Choices have consequences and for CEO’s they have consequences for not only themselves but for their employees and stock holders as well. Starting out your op-ed with the line “The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out
of other people’s money.” is him staking out not an idea but a political position. He is saying that the Dem’s proposals that mostly are regulatory, as the Public Option is still very up in the air, is socialism. That is propaganda, if he wanted to state his ideas he could have done it a bit more carefully if he wanted to avoid offending his customer base but he obviously chose not to. I hope that in the future CEO’s will learn that this is not a good idea for a company’s financial success because I think they have about as much right to an elevated political platform as hollywood actors which would be none. He has a job to do, as do actors. If they want to reap the most profits then be nice, if instead you wish to take a stand then you are free to do so and I am free to take my money elsewhere and to tell you to take your opinion and shove it. We were shown when the Dixie Chicks were scrubbed from the radio what a politically minded CEO can do, so I choose to shut them up instead of them shutting up others. They had the right, they owned the stations as I was told so many times but I have the right to let CEO’s know that their stances due carry consequences. The reason I will not shop there anymore is due to an idiot CEO that decided to pipe up, its a personal problem I have with our current culture, not because of his ideas which I may disagree with but really do not care about either.

Sorry I went a bit ranty there Polimom, its not at you but just more of an explanation of my feelings on the topic.

7 years 1 month ago

Agreed TMSF. No one held a gun at Mackay’s head to force him to get involved in a explosive political debate. If nothing else, I would hope that conservatives could agree that was a stupid decision from a business perspective. But no, it’s time for the “If liberals hate it, I’m for it!” show. So hey, conservatives, psssssst, I hate terrorists! I really really hate terrorists. In fact, I boycott them. =)

sandymchoots
sandymchoots

Lit3Bolt:

Thanks for replying in a moderate voice. We could make much progress on the health-care issues if more of us would stop ranting and start talking. Now I’d like to respond in kind with some points for you to consider.

First of all, I agree that it is undesirable to have medical insurance tied so closely to one’s job. Did you know that this started to become standard practice as a response to the combination of wage-price controls and the income-tax exemption for medical benefits? Of course, we have to initiate reform from our current position, so the basic question is how best to unlink health insurance from employment. Your preferred position appears to be a single-payer system. Others, such as John Mackey, prefer a system that enables individuals to shop for health insurance in a way that will give them access to care that is more similar to the easy access you rightly note that they have to food and shelter. I personally prefer a hybrid system, in which the non-poor are allowed to shop for the type of health insurance they want while the poor are offered a safety-net level of medical care. While I am fully in favor of a safety net, I do not find it useful to construe it as a “right,” which in its plain meaning is a limitation of the claims of the state against the individual.

Couched in terms of “rights,” health care provision is unavoidably contentious, because it is hard to imagine how medical care that is a “right” cannot ultimately be provided only at a uniform standard at a negligible price. Many of us fear that such a system will ultimately deny us the right to purchase as much health care as we want to buy. There is ample evidence that this fear is well founded. We also worry very much about the future pace of medical innovation when the government is in charge. Proponents of the current House bill do nothing to assuage those fears by arguing “Shut up” in response.

I applaud John Mackey for trying to open up a debate that has been made contentious by the repeated attempts to stifle it. If he is wrong, then this site, among others, offers a ready forum for explaining why he is wrong. Indeed, if he is so clearly wrong that you think he’s an “idiot” then it ought to be very simple for you to explain the flaws in his proposals. When, instead, the immediate reaction is to try to silence him via a boycott, then it doesn’t appear that there are very good replies to him that are readily at hand.

sandy:

John Mackey is not a hero and does not deserve your applause. His disdain for the Democrats and Obama is obvious from his opening quote by Margaret Thatcher. Some of his proposals are good (I liked 2), and some are completely goofy. He does not detail how to do any of his proposals, making them useless. He then goes on a screed that healthcare is not a right and implicitly implies that our healthcare is superior than other First World nations, to which I disagree. He then blithely suggests that eating plenty of fruits and veggies can cure all ills such as obesity, diabetes, etc. It can but only if the price of McDonald’s goes up 5000%. (And the dietary habits of this country, which form a basis for a large part our ill health, is another topic entirely I believe.)

I understand where you’re coming from and I know what you mean when you say healthcare isn’t a right. It’s like saying a job is a right or a TV is a right or winning the lottery is a right. But at the same time people are suffering without care due to a broken system that is unable or unwilling to provide that care. We don’t need a system of employee mandated insurance while the self-employed or above poverty line poor are forced to wait for free clinics to treat them akin to peasants in a Third World nation. The fire department doesn’t wait to see if you’re employed before turning the water on and police and EMTs rescue people regardless of status, employment and insurance from accidents. That by itself is an acknowledgment to basic care to human decency and suffering. Many many other nations treat healthcare as a right and pay much less than we do for it.

So we can agree to disagree but let’s acknowledge slippery slopes can go both ways. Only the government, sadly, can provide the kind of intervention in the system we need because the industry is unwilling or unable to do so.

arbought
arbought
7 years 1 month ago

I have not read Mackey’s remarks in the WFS but he was able to do so when my thoughts on the health care issue would be summarily dismissed by that corporate paper be I be for it or not. I have spent three hours reading comments on wether or not to boycot some store that I have never heard about.

I thought the issue was about health insurance, pros and cons. Does any one really know what Obama’s health care plans are all about? I don’t but I sure would like to know. I hear more controversial talk about how bad it is and how good it will be yet I have not heard much about any solid offerings about what is actually to be offered in this package. What is the issue here, the boycott or the insurance package–pro and con?

Silhouette
Silhouette

“Dude” writes,
“Liberals are just funny, reasoned debate is a cause for boycott!?? Way to go girls…

I’m not much of a whole foods shopper myself, but I’ll be sure to go there this weekend and let the folks there know that I’m ONLY there because of a man who is willing to speak his mind. ”
************
*rolls on floor, laughs ass off*…LOL…

There’s more than one way to skin a cat…lol…”dude” we’ll have you guys eatin’ tofu and organic veggies just to spite your nutty left counterparts. Spread the word. And when your meat ‘n’ ‘taters buddies finally get weaned over to alfalfa sprouts with sesame’ tahini dressing, call and let us know when the feast is on the table..lol..

Meanwhile I’ll shop at a cheaper outlet who doesn’t support MedMob. You guys go out and spend yourselves stupid. Pass the hummus…

*giggle*

twannamaker
twannamaker
7 years 1 month ago

Althouse has a very good read on this TMV guest opinion. I would suggest reading it http://is.gd/2iARY. It’s pretty clear TMV wasn’t thinking about its moderate base when they decided to let this rant be posted under their banner.

And TMV Editor … I read your Editor’s Note, and update, and footnote, etc. Stop digging the hole, just gets deeper. You screwed up letting a known ranter post a graceless screed, and recommend a Whole Foods boycott on the TMV site. No amount of words is going to cover your dumb move.

mnmark
mnmark

SeattleLefty wrote:
>i> live in Seattle, and Whole Foods is opening a store about a a mile and a half from my house. Good luck getting me in the place! Let me explain in words that a wingnut free marketeer like John Mackey can understand: John, it’s my money. I get to spend it, or not spend it, wherever and however I choose. It is entirely my decision, and you have utterly no say in the matter.

How ironic. The “lefty” who wants government to take over health care – who wants our tax money to be spent on other people’s health care whether we like it or not – is righteously proclaiming that he will spend his money where and how he wants and Mackey can’t do a thing about it. I guess the freedom to spend your money the way you want only applies to left wingers. The rest of us will have the privilege of being taxed to pay for their pet causes. It’s so hypocritical that it’s hilarious. What an idiot.

arnkk
arnkk
7 years 1 month ago

Just left a Whole Foods store. No sign of fewer people or boycott. This store does not cater to “Che tee shirt” crowd. A little little more upscale and educated.