Only the class is detention:

Abusive, derogatory and even racist behavior directed at House Democrats by Tea Party protesters on Saturday left several lawmakers in shock.

Preceding the president’s speech to a gathering of House Democrats, thousands of protesters descended around the Capitol to protest the passage of health care reform. The gathering quickly turned into abusive heckling, as members of Congress passing through Longworth House office building were subjected to epithets and even mild physical abuse.

A staffer for Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told reporters that Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) had been spat on by a protestor. Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), a hero of the civil rights movement, was called a ‘ni–er.’ And Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) was called a “faggot,” as protestors shouted at him with deliberately lisp-y screams. Frank, approached in the halls after the president’s speech, shrugged off the incident.

But Clyburn was downright incredulous, saying he had not witnessed such treatment since he was leading civil rights protests in South Carolina in the 1960s.

“It was absolutely shocking to me,” Clyburn said, in response to a question from the Huffington Post. “Last Monday, this past Monday, I stayed home to meet on the campus of Claflin University where fifty years ago as of last Monday… I led the first demonstrations in South Carolina, the sit ins… And quite frankly I heard some things today I have not heard since that day. I heard people saying things that I have not heard since March 15, 1960 when I was marching to try and get off the back of the bus.”

“It doesn’t make me nervous as all,” the congressman said, when asked how the mob-like atmosphere made him feel. “In fact, as I said to one heckler, I am the hardest person in the world to intimidate, so they better go somewhere else.”

Josh Marshall notes that a TPM reporter, Brian Beutler, was there:

Things are getting pretty heated in the Capitol with crowds of anti-Reform/Tea Party activists going through the halls shouting slogans and epithets at Democratic members of Congress.

As our Brian Beutler reports, a few moments ago in the Longworth office building, a group swarmed a very calm looking Henry Waxman, as he got on the elevator, with shouts of “Kill the bill!” “You liar! You crook!”

Not long before, Rep. Barney Frank got an uglier version of the treatment. Just after Frank rounded a corner to leave the building, an older protestor yelled “Barney, you faggot.” The surrounding crowd of protestors then erupted in laughter.

Brian’s writes about what he saw and heard, here.

Echidne has a photo of one of the signs. It reads, in part, “If Brown can’t stop it, Browning can.” With a hand-drawn picture of a gun.

Think Progress provides some details about the distinguished speakers who addressed the crowd, as well as the organizations that sponsored the event:

Tea Party activists have gathered on Capitol Hill today for a “Code Red” rally against health care reform. Speakers at the event included Republican Reps. Steve King (IA), Michele Bachmann (MN), and Mike Pence (IN). The gathering was organized by Tea Party Profiteer organizations like FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity. ThinkProgress attended today’s rally and spotted a sign threatening violence if health care passes. The sign reads: “Warning: If Brown can’t stop it, a Browning can,” referring to Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) and a Browning firearm[.]

Prof. Darren Hutchinson points out that this kind of poisonous stuff is always just under the surface:

Homophobia and racism are pervasive social forces, and fear and anxiety often bring out the worst biases in people. Hence, these developments, though quite disturbing, are not shocking. Furthermore, the Tea Party movement began its healthcare protests in a circus-like atmosphere; apparently, things will remain that way until the bitter end.

Amanda Terkel gives us Sen. Jim DeMint’s comments about the protests:

On Twitter, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) wrote that he was “grateful for the thousands of patriots who are storming the Capitol today protesting government healthcare and defending freedom.”

Kathryn Jean Lopez has the grace to call the racist and homophobic slurs “shameful, uncivil, and wrong.” Good for you, K Lo.

Fox News provides the fairness and balance:

Just days after holding a rally in Washington, Tea Party activists returned Saturday to make one final stand against the health care reform bill ahead of an expected Sunday vote.

Thousands of Tea Partiers descended upon the Capitol in an effort to derail the march toward “Obamacare” by pressuring undecided lawmakers to vote “no” Sunday.

At times protestors broke into chants of “Kill the bill!”

More than 60 Tea Party affiliates organized the event in the four days since Tuesday’s rally after organizers were flooded with requests to hold another one for those who couldn’t take off of work for the first one.

The article is longer than this, but don’t worry — there’s no mention of the N word, the F word, the pun with the gun, or the spittle. The best part, though, is the photograph. Go on, take a look. It’ll make your day. I laughed out loud the moment I set eyes on it.

I’ll end with a little ditty for Glenn Reynolds — with apologies to Woody Guthrie:

As I kept walking, I saw a sign there, and on the sign it said, “Got my Browning.” But on the other side, it didn’t say nothin’. THAT side was made for you (not me).

Kathy Kattenburg
tidbits
tidbits

Many tea party supporters have tried to justify this “movement” as just being concerned about federal spending and seeking “small government”, all the while assuring us they were not racist or homophobic or dangerous.

The assurances don’t seem to be holding up so well now that their escalating tactics are allowing these people to unleash the real emotional underpinnings of their agenda.

There’s no excuse for that kind of behavior, ever. I lived in KC when Rep. Cleaver was mayor. He’s an ordained Methodist minister, a fine Christian man. We’re sorry this happened to you, sir.

ordinarysparrow

Phew!. . . Wouldn’t it be a NIGHTMARE to wake up tomorrow morning and find we had all fallen into the rabbit hole and our politicians had aligned with the Tea Party?

Only Alice would understand:

“Well that was the silliest tea party I ever went to! I am never going back there again!”
” “What a strange world we live in…Said Alice to the Queen of hearts”

Don’t think i will sleep tonight with that thought. . . Phew!

SteveK
SteveK

TheShadowKnowsBest,
Maybe you should find a good therapist (or a good golf course? :-), you never know… it might help.

EDIT: Great compilation Kathy.

Thank you, Steve.

rightklik

This actually happened? Any hard evidence?

rudi
rudi
LOL Glenn Beck says it wasn’t so. But seems Capitol police witnessed the spitters action and arrested him. The good Reverend and Congresscritter didn’t press charges. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032002556_pf.html Members of the Congressional Black Caucus said that racial epithets were hurled at them Saturday by angry protesters who had gathered at the Capitol to protest health-care legislation, and one congressman said he was spit upon. The most high-profile openly gay congressman, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), was heckled with anti-gay chants. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) issued a statement late Saturday saying that he was spit upon while walking to the Capitol to cast… Read more »
rightklik

“Police detained the individual…”

A name and a police report would be helpful.

rightklik

All we have is “he said/(s)he said” at this point. And we don’t even know who “(s)he” is.

Yes, read the links.

scazzi
scazzi

Rightklik is quoting a site that is allied with the christian conservative right; among their commenters are those demanding video proof these events occured because surely no one could say the n word and spit on other people if they were good conservative christians, and besides, what about what everyone did to St. Bush. SOrry man, your link is dust

WagglebutII
WagglebutII
KATHY KATTENBURG, thanks for the post! Last fall, before the TBers had gained much exposure, our civic association met with a group of TBers from GA & NC. Within 30 minutes our association members were leaving the meeting because it was painfully obvious our purposes for oganization were different. The TBers were reading a hostile script that smacked of the old John Birchers with a klan motif – a distinctly racist orientation anchored in an extreme right format. Our multicultural group quickly decided the TBers had nothing to teach us. It is sad the national republican party has moved so… Read more »
Gegenschattenbild
Gegenschattenbild

Another blogger here posted this interesting video from the protests on Saturday:

OAE_Chief
OAE_Chief

Kathy,

A job well done. I think you fairly represented what happened/is going on.

BZ

Don Quijote
Don Quijote
adelinesdad
adelinesdad

I want Congress to vote no on the bill, but is there a way to get them to vote no to these people also? I’m afraid not.

(Gegenschattenbild, the video you linked to is well-made and disturbing. I should point out a subtle flaw–A few of the people in the video are actually far left activists, a fact I’m sure the producer knows).

Don Quijote
Don Quijote

Will the ‘Blue Dogs’ hunt for Obama?

But the conversation ran aground when he asked a fundamental question: Shouldn’t the government help low-income people afford basic health insurance?

“No!” most of the visitors shouted.

“Some of you are never going to agree with me,” Altmire said.

ksb43
ksb43
Yet again confirmed: the Teabaggers holler, shout and expose themselves fully for what they really are–racists, homophobes and bigots, with a far Right agenda in which only they control the nations political interests. The Reps here on this site and in Congress will either deny allegienace or claim “Dems do it, too” in their best imitation of fifth grade playground discourse, but any thinking person knows the truth. The base of the Republican party is the Teabaggers themselves–rotten to the core, useful idiots allowed to say and do anything to justify the political means of their “betters”, sucking up the… Read more »
$199537
$199537
No excuse for the epithets or the spitting. Let the individuals who performed the actions bear the consequences. I wish the other protesters would have shouted them down. I am OK with shouting “liar” and “crook” at Henry Waxman. I’m not sure why that was referenced in association with the racist comments. Heck you can legitimately shout that at most politicians. I admire the Tea Party movement for it’s support of small government and it’s energy, however they continue to look like a bunch of people mad about something but not sure exactly what. The left has tried to fill… Read more »
GeorgeSorwell
GeorgeSorwell

I agree with this.

vey9
“The left has tried to fill in that blank by saying the basis of the anger is racism, but I don’t agree. I’ve read too many accounts and statements by Tea Party members to believe that.” The left doesn’t have to do that, the tea partiers are doing the job for them. You don’t think that small government people can be bigots? The longer that the tea partiers let the bigots shout, the less chance the regular folk have of succeeding. After all, they all claim that the tea party people are in the majority, right? So a few less… Read more »
Jim_Satterfield
Jim_Satterfield

The accounts and the statements are what you get when they try to give themselves cover. What you see at events like these is the true feelings and attitudes of many of the Tea Partiers “shining” through. It’s undoubtedly true that many in that movement aren’t racist. But they choose to continue associating with the many who are. And others who might not be racist but are certainly homophobic. Then there are the ones who might not be either but see nothing wrong with signs threatening, however implicitly, the use of force.

CStanley
The response from the right seems weak and defensive so far, my guess is that they’re hoping the stories turn out to be false. That wouldn’t be without precedence. (and somehow the reports of false incidents never seem to get retracted by most media outlets or bloggers.)However, in this case Rep. Lewis is credible and there is said to be a police report on the spitting incident, so I don’t think this was a fabricated incident. On the ‘weak and defensive’ response, I guess I don’t see how people should or could respond better to accusations of the type “So,… Read more »
$199537
$199537

On the ‘weak and defensive’ response, I guess I don’t see how people should or could respond better to accusations of the type “So, when did you stop beating your wife”.

In the case of the spitting incident, the Tea Party member really was “beating his wife”. I would have liked to have seen a stronger reaction from the right on the order of “we don’t want these kinds of people in our party”.

CStanley
From what I understand, DaGoat, Michael Steele and someone who represented the Tea Party organization did condemn it. I don’t know if their statements were strong enough (haven’t seen the text) but I doubt that anything they could have said would have convinced some of the people who are convinced of widespread bigotry (do you think there’s anything that would do so?) As an aside, my own impression is that the anti-gay slur against Frank may have not been called out by the crowd, but I’d bet that racial slurs were. Since we don’t have video of any of it,… Read more »
Jim_Satterfield
Jim_Satterfield
Tea Party events have evinced outpourings of hatred and more than a little racism time and time again. Yet you choose to buy into the idea that it’s an isolated and very tiny fringe of the movement. Sorry. Your claims are the ones without merit. So are the ones that try to paint the entire movement as racist. But the majority of the movement does not loudly reject their fellows when this sort of thing happens. And I mean when it happens, not when the publicity begins to make them look bad when it hits the news. A spontaneous rejection… Read more »
CStanley
Tea Party events have evinced outpourings of hatred and more than a little racism time and time again. Yet you choose to buy into the idea that it’s an isolated and very tiny fringe of the movement. Sorry. Your claims are the ones without merit. Sorry, but your repetition of this claim doesn’t make it true. What outpourings of hatred and more than a little racism can you show evidence of (actual evidence, not reports from liberal bloggers?) Even before the Tea Party movement, this whole meme started during the campaign with claims that Sarah Palin was drawing out and… Read more »
OAE_Chief
OAE_Chief

It would seem that a whole lot of the population at times can be racist or anti-Semitic or sexist or whatever, with out being aware that what they are saying falls into one of those categories. I believe that a much higher, than average, percent of Tea Partiers are racist. Some are aware that they and the movement are racist while others ujst believe what they are told on Faux News.

GreenDreams
“The temptation on the left will be to judge the many by the actions of the few” Correction, goat, the entire public face of the movement is repellent to most, not just “the left.” Which is why I fully support you and other “conservatives” aligning yourselves with this group. Any “movement” that can’t keep control of its own message is an epic fail. No one in the “movement” has the nerve to go up to everyone with a hateful message or swastika or monkey-themed sign and say “stop that. it is NOT helpful.” Why not? Because in fact, the angry,… Read more »
$199537
$199537

rudi
rudi

Show a demographic where urban, nonwhite gays are welcome at the shout fests…

$199537
$199537

Show a demographic where urban, nonwhite gays are welcome at the shout fests…

I don’t completely understand what you’re asking for – “urban, non-white gays” is it’s own demographic. You’re saying conservative white people by definition will not welcome urban, non-white gays?

CStanley

Circular logic, Rudi. If minorities and gay people don’t believe they’re welcome, it may at least in part be due to false impressions that are being propagated when minor incidents are reported as though they’re the norm. That then can’t be used as the reasoning to prove that the incidents are representing a nonwelcoming view of such groups.

vey9

“If minorities and gay people don’t believe they’re welcome, it may at least in part be due to false impressions that are being propagated when minor incidents are reported as though they’re the norm.”

When a speaker is paid to appear at a supposed convention makes racist statements and gets three standing ovations for them, that isn’t a “minor event.”

CStanley
You apparently keep referring to Tancredo at CPAC, vey, and I am not familiar with what he said or what the reactions were. You brought this into the discussion in response to a comment I made about a different speaker at CPAC. I was pointing out a case where the crowd heckled someone for being anti-gay rights. Whether or not that sentiment is as prevelant as it should be is another discussion (and I’d have to see context of what Tancredo said, I may or may not agree that it was racist because sometimes I find that anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric… Read more »
vey9

I am referring to Tancredo at the Tea Party Convention, I know it is hard to keep all this straight. He was the Opening Night Speaker which tends to set the tone for the rest of a convention. Video cameras were not allowed so we have to go by what people said happened there,

kathykattenburg

Vey, I’m puzzled by your statement that cameras were not allowed at the Tea Party Convention. I saw and heard Tancredo call for the return of literacy tests with my own eyes, on Rachel Maddow.

vey9

I guess I thought that because while I read reports like this one:

I saw videos like what is on that page. 2:10 sec.

kathykattenburg

Vey, I’m not following what you’re telling me here.

vey9

The lecture I received about how I didn’t understand the difference between racism and anti-immigration-ism was in a different thread. I tried to reference the comment by name, but it was edited out.

kathykattenburg

I don’t know what he said at CPAC, but he told the attendees at the Tea Party Convention that literacy tests should be brought back.

vey9

.. I never thought I would be lectured about racism.

I live in a place where they finally allowed Jews in the Country Club about 10 years ago. No Jewish members yet, but they are allowed in as guests.

CStanley

OK, I missed that. I obviously don’t support literacy tests for voting and historically that was with racist intent, but in this day and age isn’t it actually racist to claim that literacy tests would disenfranchise black people? In the past, educational opportunities were restricted for blacks, but now that’s not so and a claim that literacy tests would disenfranchise them is a claim that blacks are either unable or unwilling to learn to read.

kathykattenburg
but in this day and age isn’t it actually racist to claim that literacy tests would disenfranchise black people? In the past, educational opportunities were restricted for blacks, but now that’s not so and a claim that literacy tests would disenfranchise them is a claim that blacks are either unable or unwilling to learn to read. No, it isn’t actually racist to claim that literacy tests are racist and disenfranchising. Have you ever seen a literacy test, Christine — examples of the literacy tests black people before the civil rights movement had to take, and pass, as a condition of… Read more »
to both kathy and CStanley, re: literacy tests Both in an historical and a current sense, it does behoove one to think about the racial implications and contexts of the idea of literacy tests. One can, for example, understand how there would be a huge automatic bristling to the idea among black people, even if, as you suggest, there were no difference between the literacy rates of white people and people of color (there of course are). However, I’d take another step backwards and ignore all that for a second, and think of what literacy tests would mean for our… Read more »
kathykattenburg

Excellent points, roro. Thank you.

kathykattenburg

Minor incidents, Christine? Crowds of tea partiers surging down the halls of Congress, screaming imprecations, banging on the door of Barney Frank’s office and screaming homophobic slurs?

CStanley
Where is the video of “crowds of tea partiers surging down the halls of Congress, screaming imprecations”, Kathy? I don’t disbelieve the reports that someone made an antigay slur directed at Frank, nor the report that someone may have spat on a black Congressman. Those are disgusting incidents. However, the video that has accompanied most of the stories of the latter did not actually show the incident, and so certainly didn’t justify the assertion that this behavior was widespread. The video showed the Congressmen walking down the street to the Capitol, with crowds shouting “Kill the Bill”. If you think… Read more »
kathykattenburg
Where is the video of “crowds of tea partiers surging down the halls of Congress, screaming imprecations”, Kathy? It was reported by journalists and members of Congress who witnessed it. The Capitol police had to be called to remove the protesters who were banging on Barney Frank’s office door and shouting slurs. If you believe the journalists and members of Congress who witnessed these actions were lying, so be it. I don’t know what I can say about that. If you think that even without evidence (and contrary to evidence, in fact), we should assume that individual acts that are… Read more »
tidbits
tidbits
DaGoat, My take is not that every tea partier is racist. Your point that they tend to be angry is perhaps more universal in the movement. But, they are travelling with racists, and allowing racists to be an untethered part of their group. That bothers me. One of the more distrubing aspects of this story is the part about Barney Frank (far from my favorite congressman by the way) being called a “faggot”. Not only was the person who did this not told to shut up, the crowd burst into spontaneous laughter in approval of the epithet. To me, the… Read more »
imavettoo
imavettoo

Spot on.

Don Quijote
Don Quijote
So the consensus of the left-leaning members here is that the Tea Party is at it’s base racist? Racism is a primary motivation? When ever I hear a conservative start talking about “Small Government” or “States Rights”, I translate that into “Why can’t we go back to the 50’s when Negroes knew their place”… The reason America is in the position it’s in today is the backlash against civil rights, there are entire regions of the country, particularly the South but they are not the only ones, were the basic conservative philosophy could basically be boiled down to a simple… Read more »
GeorgeSorwell
GeorgeSorwell

DaGoat–

A little earlier in this thread I agreed with you about the unfocused anger of the Tea Party people. If they can’t bring focus to their concerns, they will be subject to others whose anger is already fully focused.

I don’t think racism is a primary motivation for the Tea Partyers. But they facing a kind of moment of truth in their response to these events.

$199537
$199537

Agree with that GeorgeS.

shannonlee
shannonlee

I think the problem is that the tea party now is not the same tea party it was before Fox News started promoting it. In the beginning, there were the people like Prof that were truly concerned about big government and had intelligently thought out reasons for joining or leading their local group. Once Fox took over…all of the dittoheads joined and it became a hatefest.

Don Quijote
Don Quijote
Impossible, Ridiculous, Repugnant Listen to the late Lee Atwater in a 1981 interview explaining the evolution of the G.O.P.’s Southern strategy: ”You start out in 1954 by saying, ‘Nigger, nigger, nigger.’ By 1968 you can’t say ‘nigger’ — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now [that] you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. ”And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I’m not… Read more »
archangel
archangel

TO COMMENTERS: Please do not attack other commenters whether they have posted on this thread or not.

Thanks

DLS
DLS

I knew it would take a while but this behavior would be the subject of a thread, or two, or ten, eventually.

No excuse for it, as I said much earlier on this site (when I made it first known).

vey9

“Is that what the Tea Party and the mainstream fearful of excess government is about? No, obviously.”

Yeah. For one it is about money (as in increasing ratings) and for the other is about fame.

DLS
DLS
“Don’t you see the loop? People don’t get on TV by being ordinary. They are both feeding off of each other.” Hopefully you don’t actually believe that the racist types, etc., that made the news were trying to be scumbags simply to become news.  Even deliberately rude and controversial Ann Coulter (who has not been a newsmaker for months, in case you didn’t notice; I suspect part of her disappearance is because the public tired of that behavior and didn’t want to reward it any longer) was likely doing it for money more than merely for fame. I believe they were… Read more »
vey9
“Even deliberately rude and controversial Ann Coulter (who has not been a newsmaker for months, in case you didn’t notice; ” And how many years did that take? The media is always on the lookout for controversy. The more colorful the better and when people don’t scream loud enough, you can egg them on for the camera (remember?). Not for nothing do they stick mics in front of the guts wearing funny clothes and carrying dumb signs. People will do just about anything to get on TV and if they are lucky like Joe the Plumber and Patty Sheehan, they… Read more »
DLS
DLS
“And how many years did that take?” Too long for me, but the main thing is, I believe the public rejected her style and so did the media. (I actually don’t know why she stopped, and even the far-left accusations of mental illness may have more weight than the mainstream public originally suspected; who knows?) “The media is always on the lookout for controversy.” That, titillation, and sensationalism.  The media are liberal and politically driven, as we’ve seen with much in the way of scare stories, but one can’t overlook sensationalism in particular, which often has outweighed any political considerations. … Read more »
OAE_Chief
OAE_Chief

Think it isn’t strictly about race ? Check the link (fm RawStory)

scazzi
scazzi

rightklik, hey man, guess you didnt hear; go google it, youre way behind. It’s not he said/ she said. Nice try, but no cigar for you. You’re about 24 hours behind.

Gay Patriot: ABC News Inflames Race and Gay Baiting In America
ABC News had (and still has) no substantiation of the Lewis and Frank charges.
I WANT to know who this alleged race-baiter was.

Gay Patriot: ABC News Inflames Race and Gay Baiting In America
ABC News had (and still has) no substantiation of the Lewis and Frank charges.
Why, pray tell, doesn’t Rep. Cleaver press charges? I WANT to know who this alleged race-baiter was.

rightklik

So many people appear to have forgotten the Kenneth Gladney incident with the SEIU. And the William Rice story.

Convenient.

rightklik

Something else for the liberals to ignore:

Rep Emanuel Cleaver II, Missouri Democrat, who is black, claimed he was spat on by a protester. Mr. Cleaver’s office reportedly said Capitol Police arrested the protester, but his office did not press charges. However, Sgt. Kimberly Schneider of the U.S. Capitol Police said in an e-mail to the L.A. Times, “We did not make any arrests today.”

I’d like to bring up a point I remember trying to make a while back (and for which I received a great deal of flack at the time), when all the coverage of the Tea Parties were showing seas of white faces. The point is this: when your group is extremely homogenous as far as a given quality (race, gender, etc), it is always a good idea to have some honest introspection to make sure that your group is not actively hostile or particularly indifferent to that particular demographic. If your analysis shows that your movement is hostile to a… Read more »
adelinesdad
adelinesdad
I’m going to attempt to respond to your comment with some personal thoughts, and hopefully they come across as they are intended. I think you make a reasonable point that when we find ourselves in a social group that over-represents a certain segment of society, it is useful to ask why. I’ve found myself asking this question is some of the various social circles in which I am involved. Sometimes it is intended–such as in your example of a left-wing group excluding right-wingers. But sometimes it is not intended, which can be perplexing. Personally, I think we tend to underestimate… Read more »
adelinesdad — Thanks so much for your comment. I think it illustrates and expounds upon my point in a lot of great ways. I think one of the more telling (even if unintentional) sentences you wrote is this: My social circles are different than his. I wish it weren’t so, and if I were a better man I would probably do more to change that, but it’s true. First, I don’t think it makes you a “better” or “worse” person that you choose to socialize with people like you. I do think it’s important to note that if you do… Read more »