Our political Quote of the Day comes from former Pennsylvanian Sen. Rick Santorum:

“We will never have the media on our side, ever, in this country,” Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator, told the audience at the Omni Shoreham hotel. “We will never have the elite, smart people on our side.”

Smart people will never be on your side? Well, Rick, for once I agree with you.

That’s why you have Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity on your side.

JOE GANDELMAN, Editor-In-Chief
4 years 14 days ago

Wow.
And this guy was once a front runner for the Rep nomination

4 years 14 days ago

Yup, Santorum got it right this time!

HART WILLIAMS
4 years 14 days ago

Uh, right on?

SteveK
SteveK
4 years 14 days ago

Rick Santorum’s comment obviously went straight from the teleprompter to his lips… Critical thinking (any thinking?) was NOT involved.

RON BEASLEY, Assistant Editor

From the mouths of babes superstitious idiots.

RON BEASLEY, Assistant Editor

Actually Hanity and Limbaugh are very smart snake oil salesmen who make millions telling their audience what they want to hear and making millions in the process.

The_Ohioan
The_Ohioan
4 years 14 days ago

An honest politician! Maybe we should take a second look? Nah.

Barky
4 years 14 days ago

Santorum also said this:

“If just a few people make decisions about what this world looks like, what this country looks like, then you have people sitting in offices at major media outlets and Hollywood who think they can deal with a small group of people, to get them to jump through the hoops they want you to,” Santorum said.

You can easily replace the word “Hollywood” with the word “pulpits”, and describe the GOP.

4 years 14 days ago

Barky, that’s a little insulting to people that face pulpits. I ain’t one, but does that include Dems that go to a church, mosque or synagogue?

ProWife
ProWife
4 years 13 days ago

I wish Romney had chosen Santorum instead of Paul Ryan. A lot of people are following Ryan. And those Ryan followers are making the line at the confessional go half way around the church.

hyperflow
hyperflow
4 years 13 days ago

There may actually be credit to to his statement

We will never have the elite, smart people on our side

if you leave out the word “smart”

We will never have the elite people on our side

He is basically making a call for power to the people, the proletariat.

Which raises the question — why am I defending the words of a man who I despise?
Probably for the same reason that free speech protects bad speech.
Even bad people have good days.

I dont find Rick’s comments offensive or alarming in this rare incident.

bluebelle
bluebelle
4 years 13 days ago

I have a feeling this quote will resurface if Rick chooses to make a presidential run in ’16.

This goes into the category of what was he thinking?? I mean I happen to agree with him, but it just amazes me that he would admit to it.

4 years 13 days ago

He has the right to say stupid things and we have the right to laugh about it.
Btw, being Elite is a good thing. Romney is elite. last I checked, he is a rich guy with an ivy league degree.

DaGoat
DaGoat
4 years 13 days ago

Anybody have a link to the actual audio? My guess is he was being sarcastic and there were implied quotation marks around “elite, smart”.

RON BEASLEY, Assistant Editor

@DaGoat
You can see it here. Santorum is not smart enough to be sarcastic.

4 years 12 days ago

No, but he is whiny enough.

DaGoat
DaGoat
4 years 12 days ago

Thanks Ron, I have to agree with you.

slamfu
slamfu
4 years 12 days ago

Did he actually say that? Lol wow.

slamfu
slamfu
4 years 12 days ago

And as far as having the media on their side all they need to do is get one of their lifelong political operatives to start his own news network. Then they’d be able to use that as a megaphone for all their beliefs and policies without having to have the “liberal” media interupt their talking points with facts. He does have a point about getting smart people to take sides with them though. That’s a pretty intractable hurdle.