State_Senator_under_fire_after_racial_co_854500000_785947_ver1.0_320_240

Jesus take the wheel: Sen. Vicki Marble (R-CO) delivered a “long soliloquy explaining that more blacks and Hispanics live in poverty, in part, because of fried chicken,” during a meeting of the Economic Opportunity Poverty Reduction Task Force Wednesday.

This racial slight occurred as lawmakers on the committee were “presented with a number of statistics highlighting racial disparities in the poverty rate,” KDVR reports.

“When you look at life expectancy, there are problems in the black race: sickle-cell anemia is something that comes up, diabetes is something that’s prevalent in the genetic makeup and you just can’t help it,” Marble said. “Although I’ve got to say, I’ve never had better BBQ and better chicken and ate better in my life than when you go down south and you — I love it.”

Marble went on to mention how Mexicans eat vegetables in Mexico but stop eating healthily when they immigrate to the United States.

“These things aren’t good for you,” she continued. “There’s so many attributing factors as to why these graphs look the way they do.”

Listen to the hearing:

Wow, I have no words for this ignorance. How can so many morons manage to con their way into elected office? She didn’t bother addressed the issue of farm subsidies that make unhealthy food choices more affordable for those in poverty. That went over her head.

This was cross-posted from The Hinterland Gazette.

JANET SHAN
The_Ohioan
The_Ohioan
3 years 1 month ago

I’d hate to think one party has the monopoly on anything, even stupid remarks. Can we please be introduced to Democratic politicians’ stupid remarks? Just to make sure we’re not being out distanced.

zusa1
zusa1
3 years 1 month ago

If an insurance actuary made the same remarks regarding genetics, diet and weight, we would of course say what idiotic stupid remarks. And if he said he enjoyed barbeque, than get out the tar and feathers.
Ignorance and morons, strong words for what was on the recording, but hey I am guessing she is a TPer or something, so it’s OK.
Now, let’s see what reaction I will get for defending her. Hmmmm.
Racist “Fact Sheet”.

KP
3 years 1 month ago

ZUSAI, both links are helpful, thanks.

The_Ohioan
The_Ohioan
3 years 1 month ago
This sounds like typical Tea Party rambling – throwing at the wall everything from real statistics to migrating steel companies and anything else that passed through her head while she kept the floor to see if anything would stick. Much like Ms. Palin used to treat us to unending sentences containing disconnected facts. Her comments on black genetics and hispanic eating habits do have a correlation to illnesses which are exacerbated by poverty. Her eating habits do not. I’m sure the connection of illness to fatty foods was in her head, but she had the floor and was going to… Read more »
slamfu
slamfu

3 years 1 month ago

Am I on the right Blog? :-)

zusa1
zusa1

:) :) :) :)

justcowboyway
justcowboyway
sheknows
sheknows
3 years 1 month ago
She stupidly makes a comparison between certain illness predispositions and stereotypical food items eaten by some minorities. While it is true that certain minorities have a greater risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and other health issues, it is thought genetics play an equal role…as well as age but most importantly economic status. Statistics show that those who have more money tend to eat healthier, and most importantly, have less stress in their lives! Stress is a killer. Truth is, even SHE should not be eating fried chicken and cheese laden tacos on any regular basis. All humans need to… Read more »
JIM SATTERFIELD
3 years 1 month ago

slamfu, I remember laughing a bit when I found out what was considered soul food. It was poor southern people’s food. My parents were depression era kids from Tennessee and Oklahoma. Soul food or a variant on it was a big part of what I grew up eating.

cjjack
cjjack
3 years 1 month ago

I’d hate to think one party has the monopoly on anything, even stupid remarks.

Yes, both parties say stupid things. Yet neither party has had the self-awareness or maturity to say “Wow, we say some stupid things. Perhaps we should stop?”

That would be quite a marketing strategy, don’t you think? “The party that doesn’t say stupid things” would be a unique selling point that no other party could hope to compete against.

It is a crazy dream I have…

JSpencer
JSpencer
3 years 1 month ago

How can so many morons manage to con their way into elected office?

That’s the million dollar question.

The_Ohioan
The_Ohioan
3 years 1 month ago

And Citizens United is the million dollar answer. They aren’t going to pay for stooges that are smart enough to curtail their influence, are they?

3 years 1 month ago

Wow, it’s not even racism when we say “black people do this, which is bad, and Mexicans do this, which is bad”. I know, I know. Racism isn’t real. Silly me.

Basically what duck said.

What did duck say? Like, seriously, I have no clue how to parse this sentence “Well, if this is racist talk on VM’s part, then we are in deep trouble, or is it just partisan sniping and exaggeration.” Or what “Racist Fact Sheet” means. I

3 years 1 month ago

Now I know I am on the right blog.
What slamfu said: “I don’t think what she said was all that bad, but I think she is conflating the eating habits of minorities with the eating habits of poor people, minorities being disproportionately poor. Certainly not the most intelligent way of looking at the situation, but nothing to get my panties in a twist about. Basically what duck said.”
Let the games begin.

3 years 1 month ago

“conflating the eating habits of minorities with the eating habits of poor people”

Um, yeah, nuthin racist there…not to mention how utterly ridiculous it is to conflate being poor because you eat high-fat low-nutrition food with eating high-fat low-nutrition food because you are poor.

sheknows
sheknows
3 years 1 month ago
I didn’t get that she was talking about poor people per se. She was just stupidly talking about certain foods eaten by two races and equating that with bad health. Her point wasn’t even clear. She was just “spouting off” with no more sense of direction than a fire hose carelessly dropped during a fire, you know, the way Republicans often do. I made, and I think most others here also made the connection to poverty. The real killer of minorities is not fried or BBQ chicken or Cheese enchiladas, but a stress filled life with very little to eat… Read more »
3 years 1 month ago
SK, I almost dropped my hose when you fired on us Reps. Of course she spoke stupidly and is a moron as you have already pointed out, after all she is a Rep. When Dems, on those rare, rare, occasions spout and ramble in a non-scripted forum, they are sincere caring folks ever mindful that black/Hispanic folks are often poor. I know, there are portions of the South where there are an equal number of poor, fat, barbeque eating folks with lousy health, including severe dental problems, and wealth prospects. Maybe next time Marble will discuss those folks too. To… Read more »
sheknows
sheknows
3 years 1 month ago

LOL dd :) Funny. I am waiting for someone to do a connection between health and political affiliation. Or…food choices by Dems vs choices by Reps…which eat healthier?

I am having a pan fried chicken dish tonight that is out of this world! No lie.

slamfu
slamfu
3 years 1 month ago

Roro, it is absurd, but not inherently racist, just stupid. It is possible for someone to say something pretty offensive out of sheer ignorance without having malice in their hearts while they do it. Speaking of conflating….

3 years 1 month ago
I didn’t say she had “malice in her heart”, I said she said something racist, which she did. You don’t have to wear a swastica armband or own slaves to say something racist. You don’t have to be evil or malicious or the devil to say something racist. Good god, it’s friggin impossible to talk about race when white people think that “hey that’s a racist thing to say” means “you are Darth Vadar and deserve to die”. It means something much closer to “hey, that’s kind of mean to a lot of people at the same time, so please… Read more »
KP
3 years 1 month ago

I am of the feeling that trying to shame people into changing their ways is the easy choice and requires little thought; and is probably the least successful.